Skip to main content

Austin Bakes for West

Whenever tragedy hits close to home, it always makes you think twice. When people you know are closely affected by the accident and you see their tears of sorrow fall from their eyes, you see things in a different light. And then you wonder how you can help. Recently, in the small town of West, TX a fertilizer plant exploded and hundreds were injured and many killed. Knowing friends of mine had lost close friends due to the explosion, made we want to help. 

When I saw that there were going to be 8 bake sales going on around the Austin area to raise proceeds for West, I knew I had to contribute. The big day was Saturday, May 04, 2013, and it sure did sneak up on me fast.

I volunteered to bake for 3 of the locations around town and to table the bake sale in Round Rock. When I originally signed up to volunteer, I think I was overly ambitious... I ended up not sleeping the night leading up to the sale because I was still buried in un-decorated cookies. I was stuffing cookies into bags just as the sun was beginning to rise. I even woke up the bf at 7AM so that he could help. I never knew that stuffing 80 favor bags with cookies would take so long! I was definitely running on adrenaline that morning as I tabled the Round Rock bake sale.

But in the end, I am glad that I was able to contribute to a great cause. We raised over $18,000 and that is a great feeling! I totally went home and crashed after the bake sale was over and slept like a baby through the whole night.

I ended up meeting some great local bloggers and bakers, and even got a membership to the Austin Food Blogger Alliance. Losing one night of sleep is nothing compared to knowing that you were able to contribute to a great cause and getting to meet some awesome fellow bakers. You rock Austin!

Donation: 20 mini loafs of Banana Bread, 8 dozen mini Cupcakes, 80 bags of Sugar Cookies



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amish Friendship Bread & Printable Instructions

Click here to download SMALL Batch instructions.    Click here to download FULL Batch instructions. Anybody ever head of this?!?  Well the other day I was in the break room at work getting water and saw three bags of cream colored mush... Now I had seen these bags several weeks back and didn't pay much attention to them, but these strange looking bags were back, so I decided to stop and read the paper attached to them and saw "Amish Friendship Bread" with strange instructions like "Mush the Bag." Well still not really sure what the bag of goo was, I went back to Google, and read up on it.  It is similar to a chain letter, in the sense that once you get it, you must pass 3 more along.  So this bag of mush is really an active yeast mixture that is supposedly passed down from generation to generation steaming only from the Amish. Now I don't know how true this is, but it has definitely been circulating around my office for a month or so now.  Ev...

Cookies n' Cream Cookies

One of my favorite ice cream flavors has always been Cookies n' Cream, and it is one of the most popular flavors out there.  Now how delicious would it been in a cookie form!??!!  Maybe even served with some Cookies n' Cream ice cream!! Ingredients: 1 cup butter 3/4 cup brown sugar 1/4 cup sugar 2 eggs 1 tsp. vanilla 1 package of instant Oreo pudding mix 2 1/4 cup flour 1/2 tsp. salt 1 tsp. baking soda 2 Hershey's Cookies n' Cream candy bars, broken into chunks 2 cups of Oreo cookies, crushed into pieces Recipe adapted from Food .com

Failed Toffee Making = Toffee Cookies

Have you ever made homemade toffee ? Well I recently attempted to make homemade toffee and it was semi unsuccessful the first round with my toffee separating from the butter creating an extra greasy layer around my toffee. However, the toffee itself was very good. So I managed to clean up most of the excess butter and chopped the toffee to be used in my favorite chocolate chip recipe, and so we have toffee chip cookies! Toffee Chip Cookies, adapted from America's Test Kitchen 2 cups flour 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp salt 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted 1 cup packed dark brown sugar 1/2 cup sugar 1 large egg 1 large egg yolk 2 tsp vanilla extract 1 1/2 cup toffee 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I used Hershey's Special Dark) Sea salt for garnish (1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees. (2)Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the melted butter and sugars together with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. ...