Sugar Cookies from All Recipes
This makes a very large amount of cookies (approx. 60); Measurements are friendly to making a half batch. But why make a half batch?! :)
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
5 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
(1) In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover and chill dough for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
(2) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter.
(3) Bake 6-9 minutes or until just golden. Cool completely before icing.
|All ready to decorate :)|
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tsp. milk or water
2 tsp. light corn syrup
1/4 tsp. almond extract
assorted food coloring
(1) In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar and milk until smooth
(depending on how runny or thick you want the icing, add milk until desired
(2) Stir in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. Divide into separate bowls, and add food coloring.
The icing can take several hours to completely dry if you are wanting to stack the cookies, and depending on the humidity, you may have to allow them to dry overnight. And Houston is not friendly in the summer months when it comes to humidity... I always allow the cookies to dry overnight before stacking.