Skip to main content

Welcome Home - Pumpkin Pancakes


Let's start our November blog catch-up with a some simple pumpkin pancakes. The bf and I are making progress with our unpacking and this weekend, we broke in our new kitchen and made a nice Sunday breakfast followed by a long day at Ikea and back home for steaks and Sunday Night Football. We were discussing what to make for breakfast and I said I would make pancakes and the bf asked if we could spruce em up and what better for the month of November than PUMPKIN!

Because of our chaotic unpacking and running errands weekend, we forgot to buy syrup for our pancakes. Which is fine by me because I personally only use a tiny bit for just a touch of sweetness. Therefore, since we didn't have any maple goodness to put on the pancakes, I upped the amount of sugar that I would normally put. If you will be using syrup, reduce the amount of sugar to 3-4 tbsp of sugar.

Pumpkin Pancakes, adapted from America's Test Kitchen

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 large egg
3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 generous cup pumpkin puree


Directions:
(1) In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice.

(2) In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, melted butter, buttermilk and pumpkin puree.

(3) Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour the buttermilk mixture into the well, and whisk gently just until incorporated. Be careful not to over mix, a few lumps won't hurt your batter.

(4) Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Spay with cooking spray and spoon your batter into the skillet. I like to use my handy dandy portion scoops to make little sand dollars instead of full size pancakes, whatever you prefer.

(5) Once you spoon the batter into the pan, do NOT attempt to move them until you are ready to flip them. Cook about 2-3 minutes until large bubbles begin to appear and pop.

(6) Flip the pancakes. You only have ONE chance to flip them, so flip em good. Cook another 1-2 minutes.

(7) Remove from pan and devour!

I was really bad at taking pictures of the process but you can see our final delicious breakfast feast. Maple sausage, eggs, hash browns, and pancakes. Our new house has two rose bushes in the backyard and we plucked some for the table <3

Happy November!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amish Friendship Bread & Printable Instructions

Click here to download SMALL Batch instructions.    Click here to download FULL Batch instructions. Anybody ever head of this?!?  Well the other day I was in the break room at work getting water and saw three bags of cream colored mush... Now I had seen these bags several weeks back and didn't pay much attention to them, but these strange looking bags were back, so I decided to stop and read the paper attached to them and saw "Amish Friendship Bread" with strange instructions like "Mush the Bag." Well still not really sure what the bag of goo was, I went back to Google, and read up on it.  It is similar to a chain letter, in the sense that once you get it, you must pass 3 more along.  So this bag of mush is really an active yeast mixture that is supposedly passed down from generation to generation steaming only from the Amish. Now I don't know how true this is, but it has definitely been circulating around my office for a month or so now.  Ev...

Cookies n' Cream Cookies

One of my favorite ice cream flavors has always been Cookies n' Cream, and it is one of the most popular flavors out there.  Now how delicious would it been in a cookie form!??!!  Maybe even served with some Cookies n' Cream ice cream!! Ingredients: 1 cup butter 3/4 cup brown sugar 1/4 cup sugar 2 eggs 1 tsp. vanilla 1 package of instant Oreo pudding mix 2 1/4 cup flour 1/2 tsp. salt 1 tsp. baking soda 2 Hershey's Cookies n' Cream candy bars, broken into chunks 2 cups of Oreo cookies, crushed into pieces Recipe adapted from Food .com

Failed Toffee Making = Toffee Cookies

Have you ever made homemade toffee ? Well I recently attempted to make homemade toffee and it was semi unsuccessful the first round with my toffee separating from the butter creating an extra greasy layer around my toffee. However, the toffee itself was very good. So I managed to clean up most of the excess butter and chopped the toffee to be used in my favorite chocolate chip recipe, and so we have toffee chip cookies! Toffee Chip Cookies, adapted from America's Test Kitchen 2 cups flour 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp salt 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted 1 cup packed dark brown sugar 1/2 cup sugar 1 large egg 1 large egg yolk 2 tsp vanilla extract 1 1/2 cup toffee 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I used Hershey's Special Dark) Sea salt for garnish (1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees. (2)Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the melted butter and sugars together with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. ...