Skip to main content

Amish Friendship Bread & Printable Instructions


Anybody ever head of this?!?  Well the other day I was in the break room at work getting water and saw three bags of cream colored mush... Now I had seen these bags several weeks back and didn't pay much attention to them, but these strange looking bags were back, so I decided to stop and read the paper attached to them and saw "Amish Friendship Bread" with strange instructions like "Mush the Bag."

Well still not really sure what the bag of goo was, I went back to Google, and read up on it.  It is similar to a chain letter, in the sense that once you get it, you must pass 3 more along.  So this bag of mush is really an active yeast mixture that is supposedly passed down from generation to generation steaming only from the Amish. Now I don't know how true this is, but it has definitely been circulating around my office for a month or so now.  Even after reading of this "chain letter" I did not take a bag home, but I eyed them every time I went to the break room....

Several days had passed, and only one bag remained... I had been poking and mushing the bag as I passed it daily, and my curiosity was starting to get the best of me.  Then I noticed that it was almost Day 6, time to add stuff to the bag....but it was still just sitting in the break room without a home.... so of course I "adopted" the little bag! :D  Once I brought the yeast home, I fed it some flour, sugar, and milk for the day, and it sure was hungry!  I went to bed feeling good about myself for taking in a lost soul :)

When I woke up the next morning, I knew the yeast had enjoyed his dinner because the bag was inflated with lots of air, and so being the good caretaker that I am, I burped the bag!  Several more days of mushing the bag and burping the bag before we arrived at BAKING DAY!! :) I then proceeded to follow the directions on the instruction sheet.  An hour and a half later..... it was done, and the outcome was a slightly sweet and cinnamony, delicious bread!  It was so tasty that I decided to keep a starter and bake it again in 10 more days!  And I gave the remaining 3 bags to friends; hence, chain letter.

Notice: NO METAL!!!
Skip to about a month later and this darn bag of yeast is starting to take over my life!! I find myself baking every 10 days and rushing out to buy packs of pudding mix and flour at random times of the day.  The bread is very good and nobody in my house is complaining about the steady supply of cinnamon bread in the house.  However, when 1 bag turns into 4 bags and then those 4 bags multiple into 16 bags and this chain continues for a month, ahhhh!!! These darn bags seem to multiple into 4s before I can even get rid of the previous four!


Then I came across this wonderful post by Make It From Scratch, and I can finally breath a sigh of relief!!! :D  My bag is DEFINITELY going on a diet! and then will be taking a nice trip to the freezer for awhile!  If you ever get your hands on a starter bag of yeast, I would recommend that you most certainly make the yummy bread, but please do not let the mush take over your life!! (and after more Google researching, it turns out that there are recipes for the starter bags of yeast, so don't feel like you need to hang on to the little guy.  Just let him go and look up the recipe the next time you feel like some good ole Amish Bread!)

The instructions that came on my bag had certainly been loved and passed along with a few typos and lots of xeroxed copy lines.  I decided that if I was to pass this chain letter along, I wanted to pass on a new "cleaner" instruction sheet.  Not that there is anything wrong with the well loved original that came with mine.  I am just sort of anal and OCD so seeing the xerox lines and typos was really irritating.... In case you are like me and need a nice "clean" looking instruction sheet please feel free to download the printable below.

Click Here to download the Amish Friendship Bread instructions!!


Be sure to write in the dates so that your friends know when BAKING DAY is!!!! 


Comments

  1. Here are some tasty variations:
    Replace the vanilla pudding mix with pistachio. Bread turns out a fun color of lime-ish green and taste terrific. (Omit the cinnamon, but use a little powdered sugar or brown sugar to keep the bread from sticking)
    Replace the vanilla pudding with chocolate pudding and throw in a handful of choco chip, OR butterscotch chips.
    These two variations make a tastier dessert if you mix up a little icing to drizzle over them, and serve well to eliminate a leftover starter you can't find a home for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm confused. When you look at the instructions above Michelle's name, it states on day 10 to add 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and 1 1/2 cups milk. BUT when you click on the link to download the instructions it states to add only 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup sugar. Which is correct. I made the bread tonight using the instructions I was given with the starter and those instructions said to add 1 1/2 cups of each of those ingredients. The bread was very, very sweet and I used lemon instant pudding and lemon extract, so the bread should not have been sickenly sweet. Can someone clarify which is correct? 1/2 cup or 1 1/2 cups of each?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Sorry for the confusion... I have been meaning to update the post to include the Full recipe which is the 1 1/2 cup version. The one above is the small batch version that I discuss in the post. Just depends on how many starter bags u want to have leftover.

      Use the link above for the small batch version, and this is the full batch version below:

      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxfs-pKIUSDLMTFjZDYyY2UtOTk0Mi00ZTJhLTkxMWItNzIwNDEyOWMxZTUz/edit?usp=sharing

      Let me know if that helps clarify :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pandan Coconut Ice Cream

Pandan , have you ever heard of it? Growing up, I ate many sweets flavored with Pandan, although I didn't really learn what it was until my early 20s. It is a common flavor used in Southeast Asian desserts, similarly to how Vanilla is used in most American baked goods. If you have ever been into an Asian bakery and seen bright green cakes and such, that gorgeous green hue is attributable to Pandan. I ate many green desserts as a child but honestly never knew what that distinct flavor was and always just thought the green color was from food coloring to make things more exciting. However, in my adult years I started to see trendy Asian restaurants serving Pandan flavored desserts, and not until then did I realize I had been eating Pandan my whole life. My sister and I started to become obsessed with ordering beignets with pandan ice cream at one of our local sushi restaurants in Houston. Now that I live in Austin, I don't get to enjoy those delicious pillowy beignets and ice

Not ready for fall yet - Lemon Berry Muffins

With most bloggers getting ready for fall and posting pumpkin this and that, I am not ready to go into the fall season yet. Summer berries have slowly started going off sale at the grocery store, and this makes me sad. Not only because it affects my green smoothies in the morning but because I love baking with summer berries as well. I am making this month the last of the summer berries recipe month! Let's start if off with a simple breakfast muffin. Lemon Berry Muffins, adapted from America's Test Kitchen 3 cups flour 1 cup sugar 1 tbsp. baking powder ½ tsp. baking soda ½ tsp. salt 1½ cups plain Greek yogurt 1 tsp. lemon zest 2 large eggs ½ cup butter, melted and cooled 1½ cups fresh mixed berries 1 tbsp. flour